Monday, September 6, 2010

The First Day of Work

I arrived still tired, but on time -- at 9am sharp.  Thankfully work is about a 5 minute walk from my place, so getting to and from the office was not going to require a leap of faith.  Another man was new to the company and starting this day as well, so we met each other and began our newbie training.  We began with a 2 hour meeting about the company, the products, the philosophy, and a bunch of other things I could barely keep my eyes open for.  Jet lag sucks.
The rest of the day was very slow as installing software and configuring email clients and learning about phone systems.......... blah.
After I got home, I decided to go on another walk.  One of my first goals was to at least familiarize myself with my neighborhood so I didn't need a map every time I took three steps out the front door.  I ended up taking about a 60 minute walk.  Since the city has no semblance of organization or "block" structure, I made to sure to make all right turns or all left turns until I knew where I was again.  Getting creative could've put me in Paris, and with the dim light reading the map was hard.  I was sure I was lost about 6 times, but kept to my plan and sure enough made it back to my street corner.
I had a few long video chats with mom and dad, a nice shower, and embarked to bed exhausted and still very jet lagged.
To make matters worse I was low on money since basically nobody accepts travelers checks (including banks) and I hadn't had time to open a bank account.  The next morning I was set to open one up at the local Deutsche Bank. The difference between having no money while not knowing if your banker will speak english, and having enough money to eat for a month are two different things.
Between the money, the sleep, the new job, and the crushing realization that I knew no German and was living in Germany -- it was a very very long night.
Surely -- tomorrow would bring a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment