We departed ATL around 4:30pm EST and were headed east-bound and down (up actually). In my mind I knew I was flying to another continent far away and in a different time-zone, but the reality of living and working there hadn't quite set in. I was fortunate enough to be sitting in a business class seat and enjoying the good food and free booze while I was trapped in a tube with 400 other people.
We were to arrive around 8am local time. Sleeping on planes is hard, to anyone who can do it -- you are lucky. I awoke several times through the night eager to see the sun with the expectation of landing. When that finally did happen, breakfast was being served and the agitation on the flight was palpable; everyone was eager to arrive.
Upon landing I made it through immigration, and customs is really a breeze (if you have nothing to declare). You simply walk through the green door labelled "nothing to declare" and you are done.
I found a company man waiting for me with a sign, and after an awkward introduction in what I would come to know as german conversational skills we were headed to the parking lot.
Upon entering the parking structure I was immediately taken aback by all the nice cars. BMW, Audi, and Porsches everywhere! I think I saw one ford fiesta and it looked quite out of place.
After a short car trip in a nice and brand new BMW wagon, we arrived at the office. I did a quick change of shirt and was headed up stairs to meet everyone in person for the first time. Until now it was only skype video chat's connecting us. Most of the office was very busy as several folks were preparing to leave, but everyone was very nice and delighted to meet me. Operating on only 3 hours of real sleep in the last 36 hours and adrenaline I was off to the races. I was told that I would go to the government office with one of the assistants, in order to secure my work visa. She was very kind and explained to me how the train system worked, and where we were going -- the "Kreisverwaltungsreferat München". Upon arrival I realized it was a 4 story secretary of state from hell through which all government permissions must go. After spending 3 hours going counter to counter and grabbing number after number and waiting in line (and 60€) I had a work visa. We returned to work by 1pm and when asked if I had enough energy to go to lunch I promptly answered no, and they kindly took me home. One of the IT guys drove me home, and helped me find my apartment and get my bags up to the 4th floor. After he left I promptly collapsed and took a 4 hour nap.
Around 18:00, my new roommate arrived home and we introduced ourselves and she proved to be very nice and helpful in answering all of my many questions about the city.
I then realized that my laptop had no charge and I had not yet contacted anyone at home to let them know I made it OK. She directed me to where I needed to go in the city, and off I went on my first adventure walk into Munich. Fortunately she equipped me with several maps, otherwise lord knows where I would've ended up. I found the store and then eagerly found the plug adapter I needed, knowing that I wasn't going to be asking for any help since I spoke zero german. With a few € in my pocket I went through checkout, oblivious to what the lady behind the counter said, and handed her a bill large enough to cover the cost and expecting a boat load of change. I made it, and promptly hurried home before dark lest I get lost on the first night.
On the way home I walked passed a Müller, and thought of Fritz, so I took a picture.
It wasn't until today (Sept 6) that I learned and explored Müller your local, we have everything, department store.
I got the laptop power, made a few calls and was quite exhausted. Sleeping proved to be difficult due to jetlag and anxiety, but I made it. Tomorrow was the first 'real' day of work with a 9am call-time.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment